Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace – Show Notes
GeekOut with Spencer & Kevin
Star Wars Episode One – The Phantom Menace
Plot Synopsis (6:25 – 37:11):
- Taxation of trade routes to outlying systems under dispute
- Trade Federation puts a blockade on Naboo wanting to “resolve the issue”
- The congress of The Republic endlessly debates what to do
- Supreme Chancellor Valorum secretly sends two Jedi (Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi) to Naboo to settle the conflict
Trade Federation (TF) representatives freak out because of the arrival of the Jedi and contact Lord Sidious (Master of the Sith) who orders them to “escalate our plans and invade now.”
The TF tries to kill the Jedi and then launch an invasion with a droid army onto the surface of Naboo.
The Jedi’s evade death, make their way to Naboo’s surface, bump into Jar-Jar Binks (ugh), get ship from Gungan, and cut through the planet core to get the besieged city of Naboo.
- As a kid the fish fight felt so much longer and waaaay more perilous.
The TF wants Queen Amidala to sign a treaty so they can have it ratified in the Senate
- Lord Sidious states, “I have the Senate bogged down in procedures, they will have no choice, but to accept your control of the system.”
The Jedi and Queen escape Naboo, but take damage getting past the blockade (Hello R2-D2!!!). They can’t make it all the way to Coruscant, so they plan on landing in Tatooine as it is controlled by the Hutts and not the TF.
The Jedi and Queen Amidala’s hand maiden Padme (aka the Queen in street clothes) look for parts and meet Anakin Skywalker (kid Darth Vader) and his mama (Shmi) who are slaves to the junk trader Watto.
- Ironic Moment – “No one can kill a Jedi” – Young Anakin
Republic credits don’t count on Tatooine, so Anakin will pod race for the prize money
Crazy stuff we never noticed the first time:
- There is no father!!!!! Shmi Skywalker said she didn’t know how she got pregnant!!!! Whatttt?
- Jedi – Midi-chlorian (explained below) count over 20,000 which is higher than Master Yoda or any Jedi ever
Cool new catch phrase = “This is so wizard Annie!” – Anakin’s friend
Qui-Gon Jinn ups the ‘annie’ (LoL) with Watto and bets for Anakin’s freedom
*About 45 minutes of pod racing* Anakin wins the pod race
They get parts and Anakin and head to ship. On the way there is a brief battle between Qui-Gon and Darth Maul.
They all get to Coruscant and a special session is called to discuss the invasion of Naboo
According to Palpatine (Senator of Naboo AND Darth Sidious), Supreme Chancellor Valorum has no real power because he is dealing with allegations of corruption and the real control of the Senate is by the bureaucrats. Palpatine wants Queen Amadala to all for a special election to replace the Chancellor.
There is a Jedi meeting about Anakin and the possible return of the Sith:
- Sith have been extinct for a millennium
- There has been a vergence in the force
- “Located around a person?”
- “Possible he was conceived by the Midi-chlorians”
- Refer to the prophecy of the one who will bring balance to the force
Queen Amidala was elected. Naboo is a democracy
TH Senate representatives say Queen Amidala has no proof of TF invasion of Naboo and investigators should be sent.
- This would waste more time and allow the TF forces to solidify control of Naboo
The Supreme Chancellor agrees, so Amidala calls for a vote for a new Supreme Chancellor
While the senate votes, Amidala wants to return to Naboo to face the TF
- Qui-Gon does not always follow the Jedi Code and that is why he is not on the counsel
- Midi-chlorians are microscopic beings in our cells which tell us the will of the force
Amidala allies herself with the Gungans (Jar-Jar folks)
- *** shake jowls, bebe***
Plan is to use Gungan army to draw out most of the droids. While this is happening, Amadala and the Jedi will capture the Viceroy and Naboo fighter (but mainly Anakin) will destroy the droid control ship in orbit of Naboo
Epic fight between Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Darth Maul
Anakin is autopiloted to space and accidentally gets inside the control ship and blow it up from the inside.
Qui-Gon is killed by Darth Maul. Obi-Wan slices Darth Maul in half and he falls down a huge pipe/pit.
- Spoiler: Darth Maul doesn’t actually die and comes back in the new animated series.
“He [Anakin] is the chosen one” – Qui-Gon as he dies
The TF is defeated on Naboo, but the Viceroy is able to escape.
They win! Palpatine is officially made Supreme Chancellor. Obi Wan can train Anakin, but he has to be careful.
Questions (37:55 – 44:05):
- Why are the main heroes from each trilogy always from desert planets?
- What/Who is the Phantom Menace?
Badass Moment (44:05 – like an hour? Idk, I lost track):
- Darth Maul is an absolute BAD. ASS.
- This poster – https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/c/cf/EpIVaderShadowPoster-SWE.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20111205190308
- Political savvy of Senator Palpatine
- R2-D2 and C-3PO meeting for the very first time
- The technology and stylization of Naboo
Our Phantom Menace Ratings:
- 7 out of 10
- 8th out of the current 9 episodes
- 5 out of 10
- 8th out of the current 9 episodes
All of Darth Maul’s Lines:
- “Tatooine is sparsely populated. If the trace is correct, I will find them quickly master.”
- “At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have our revenge.”
- “ Yes, my master.”